Since the launch of the new Policing Professional Framework (PPF) in 2011, the successor to the Integrated Competency Framework (ICF), it has been rolled out across the country for both police officers and police staff, irrespective of location or specific role focus. The timing is now right to review the current PPF on a formal setting, and in collaboration with the College of Policing we are delighted to be undertaking this work to improve rigor surrounding competence within the UK’s Police and Law Enforcement services.
The College of Policing are very keen to ensure that they are able to provide products and services to equip forces to be the best that they can be. This review is therefore intended to listen to the needs for a ‘Policing Professional Framework’ that supports that aim and aligns to other initiatives such as the ‘Continuing Professional Development’ (CPD) model and framework, the National Police Promotions Framework (NPPF), Personal Development Reviews (PDR), Defining and Assessing Competence (DAC) and the Leadership Review recommendations.
- Review how the current PPF is used, or not:
b. Locally / regional
- What HR processes and functions operated by the Service are underpinned by the PPF? By this we mean; recruitment and selection, Personal Development Review (PDR), promotion, discipline, competence assessment, workforce planning, workforce development and learning and development.
- Scope additional functionality / enhancements and expectation of the proposed new PPF.
In order to fulfill the objectives above, we have developed a comprehensive programme of research that will provide the appropriate evaluation and recommendations that will help improve the quality, functionality and usability of the PPF.
As part of this programme, in addition to in-depth interviews, focus groups and a world café style workshop exploring the drivers both internally and externally, we are encouraging all Forces to complete an on-line survey that will help us understand perceptions, experiences, barriers and benefits of the PPF.
The on-line survey will be made available to the following organisations:
- Heads of HR in UK Territorial Police Forces
- Heads of L&D in UK Territorial Police Forces
- Police representative bodies
- National Police Chiefs Council (Strategic)
We are keen to ensure that the data gathered is representative of forces across the country. So if this relates to you or you know someone it does, please complete the survey so we can ensure that the PPF is improved to meet the needs of its users.
The survey has now closed.
This is your chance to make a difference and shape the way in which insight into career progression can be accessed and used by Forces throughout the UK.